Electrical + thermal area networking
The more diverse the mix of uses a given area has, the greater the potential for networking. The individual buildings or components of an area are no longer pure energy consumers, but become so-called "prosumers" through the use of synergies and networking to producers and consumers.
Through intelligent networking of several buildings with different uses, waste heat can be supplied to other users from the thermal aspect instead of being released into the ambient air. Heat consumers cool down the network and thus provide cold for direct cooling of buildings and processes. As a further component, electrical networking enables the optimised use of locally generated electrical energy.
Energy storage systems enable generation and consumption to be decoupled in time and are thus able to significantly improve the use and system compatibility of renewable energies. Thermal energy can be stored for a short time in heating and hot water storage tanks or seasonally in ground storage systems for later use. The development of electrical storage capacities can dampen production peaks, thereby improving the integration and use of fluctuating renewable electricity sources.
Energy conversion due to surpluses and deficits will play an increasingly important role. We accompany the development of these technologies "power-to-x" very closely with industry partners in order to be able to integrate them as well if required.
An intelligent control level completes the networked system and enables optimised management of the storage facilities and the coordination of energy supply and demand through load management.
In order to further develop the networking concepts, we are in close contact with industry and research partners such as EMPA and are, for example, industry partners in the energy research programme SWEET.
- Increased use of locally available, renewable energy potentials
- Reliable and robust system design (no over-engineering)
- Economically competitive transformation (design-to-cost)
- Overall energy concepts (master plan energy and media supply)
- Thermal energy systems (district heat/energy networks)
- Electrical energy systems (energy/load management, area concepts)
- Energy storage & energy conversion
- Overall planning/realisation of building services engineering & energy network systems
- Financing Models & Life-Cycle-Costing (LCC)
- Dynamic energy simulations and network modelling (Polysun, Stanet)
- Monitoring and optimisation during operation
- Strategic support in implementation and operation
Our services cover the entire life cycle of an area, neighbourhood or network - from the concept, planning and implementation phases to the operating phase.
On the path to CO2 reduction
On 6 October 2017, Switzerland ratified the Paris Climate Agreement, which aims to significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The goal of the agreement is to limit global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius compared to pre-industrial levels. The total revision of the Swiss CO2 Act provides for a staged CO2 reduction in the building sector with limit values and increased CO2 taxes. For property owners and investors, the question of which is the optimal CO2 reduction strategy arises. Carbon due diligence supports asset and portfolio management in balancing CO2 emissions, setting realistic climate policy objectives and optimising property business plans that make sense both ecologically and economically.
CO2 balancing and target setting
- Balancing of CO2 emissions according to Swiss standards (SIA) or international standards (GHGP)
- CO2 benchmarking with comparable properties and portfolios
- Definition of CO2 reduction targets taking into account cantonal, national and international requirements
Development of technical/energy principles
- Building condition analyses including technical maintenance and repair planning
- Building energy certificates including energy consumption and CO2 emissions
- Evaluation of heat generators including comparison of variants and recommendations
- CO2 controlling including CO2 monitoring, analysis and recommendations regarding energy-efficiency initiatives
- Drafting of a sustainability standard for development and acquisition
CO2 modelling including costs, earnings and value
- Definition and modelling of different renewal scenarios and initiatives, taking into account existing maintenance planning
- Definition of model input variables such as energy renewal initiatives for heating, building envelope and technology and the timing of renewal
- Analysis and assessment of model output variables such as CO2 emissions, energy, maintenance and investment costs, as well as the earning power of individual properties and the entire portfolio
- Optimisation of the CO2 reduction strategy at portfolio level: reduction in the portfolio vs. compensation at home and abroad
- Optimisation of business plans at property level: renewal cycles and scope of renewal
Thanks to our holistic approach to CO2 management and a wide range of instruments, we offer unique advice on carbon due diligence throughout Switzerland.
The integrated consideration of climate policy objectives, technical renewal requirements, CO2 reduction potential and economic potential, taking into account costs and earnings, enables the definition of CO2 reduction strategies that create value rather than destroying it.
Enhanced energy efficiency performance
Increases in energy efficiency allow enterprises, real estate owners and tenants to profit now and in the future from clear economic and ecological advantages. We carry out energy-consumption analyses to identify possible ways of achieving greater efficiency. We then use our results to derive practical measures for increasing energy efficiency. We plan the successful implementation of the measures and monitor their effectiveness.
The aim of our approach is to quickly identify relevant users offering significant potential. The measures we then derive for immediate implementation can be expected to amortise in 1 to 2 years. Our range of services covers the entire process of operation optimisation, from initial systems evaluation to successful solution monitoring:
- Initial evaluation for recording the most important data and systems
- Measurements to assess the effective operation and user behaviour
- Functional testing of important systems and equipment
- Drafting of optimisation measures together with specific system changes
- Implementation support and monitoring
- Effectiveness monitoring
- Introduction of energy-use monitoring for sustainable optimisation
Major energy consumers
According to the Swiss Energy Act and the various cantonal energy ordinances, major energy consumers in Switzerland are required to reduce their CO2 emissions and increase their energy efficiency by an annual rate of 2%. We have many years of experience when it comes to advising major energy consumers in matters of energy management. We analyse your energy consumption, identify optimisation potential, and assist you in drafting target achievement plans or carrying out an energy use analysis as well as in implementing the optimisation measures to increase energy efficiency performance. We make sure that you reach your efficiency goals.
We offer the following specific services in the framework of advising major energy consumers:
- Analysis of current states, including an evaluation of buildings and technical facilities
- Analysis of energy flow (energy flow diagram)
- Identification of potential for increasing energy efficiency and lowering CO2 emissions
- Drafting of near, medium and long-term measures and cost-benefit analyses
- Provision of support for the implementation of optimisation measures
- Efficiency increase Monitoring
- Drafting of annual reports for submission to canton
- Operational support, coaching and technician training
Would you like to redesign, further develop or convert a site or an entire district in compliance with basic principles of sustainability?
We would be happy to develop and optimise your project, no matter whether you would like to use an international standard as a basis or an evaluation system that is geared to specifications that apply specifically in Switzerland:
- GNB city districts
- LEED for neighbourhood development
- BREEAM communities
- Sustainable districts by Sméo: guideline for sustainable architecture
- 2000 Watt site
We know all of the evaluation methods and can advise you in matters ranging from the selection of a standard to project realisation. With the inclusion of a standardised certification system or guideline, we can work together to identify the important areas to be addressed and enhance the sustainability of your project.
Photovoltaics have taken on greater significance in the area of building systems engineering, particularly since the government approved the private use of energy produced off-grid. Indeed, the Swiss power grid will see major changes in the near future in connection with the decentralised storage of solar power. We know the latest developments on the market and can competently advise you in all matters relating to solar power generation and use.
Our specialists help you to develop and manage your solar power projects by providing the following services:
- Feasibility studies, pilot projects and comparison with alternative plans
- Investment strategies for real estate portfolios
- Private use optimisation
- Building integration
- Developer support and representation
- Facilitation of feed-in remuneration and one-time remuneration options
- Solar power strategies for PSCs
- Proof of origin marketing
- Founding of solar power cooperatives
- Roof use contracts
- Solar installation consulting programmes for energy cities and regions
- Surge arresters and EMC
We offer architectural design services and guarantee cross-discipline competence from the planning phase to the construction phase and onward to the transfer of the photovoltaic installation to the developer. Our range of services includes:
- Submission of applications for building permits, grants and design approvals
- Selection of optimal designs and modules
- Roof load configuration under consideration of snow loads, wind and dynamic pressure as per SIA 161
- Design and calculation of internal and external surge arresters
- Measurements, commissioning and maintenance
- Yield monitoring
- Thermography for purposes of analysis and error detection
The significance of solar thermal applications has increased in recent years, especially in connection with their role in the operation of geothermal heat pumps. The ever more dense installation of heat pumps in developed areas has led to a gradual cooling off of the ground, as not enough energy flows back to the geothermal source. The use of photovoltaic modules or unglazed solar absorbers to regenerate the ground in the summer creates a seasonal storage effect and thus enables higher annual output figures for heat pumps -- an efficient, cost-effective and sustainable solution.
Feeding solar heat into integrated heating systems and anergy grids offers tremendous potential and has become ever more common in Europe.
We help you to realise solar thermal systems with high capacity factors by providing support when it comes to concept development, feasibility studies, pilot projects, design, tendering and Installation.
Supporting the revision of the energy framework documents
The realisation of the ambitious objectives of federal energy policy, as well as cantonal policies, involves the regular updating of legal frameworks and the documents required for their implementation, such as directives, guidelines for municipalities and professionals, etc.
We support the public bodies throughout the various steps involved in this work, i.e. assessment of and feedback on existing energy policy measures; support in the drafting of directives, guidelines and other documents for the implementation of legal measures; monitoring and support of municipalities and other developers that serve as pilots for the application of the new measures.