Many challenges of our future can only be mastered by joining forces. This is why we are involved in all the well-known associations, political organisations and initiatives in our industry. Where knowledge transfer is required, where training and further education takes place, we are happy to pass on our know-how. Due to our market position and reputation, many doors are open to us. We make our influence felt, but not for profane self-interest. We are always concerned with the overriding issue, the relevance for the industry and the significance for society.
In our customer magazine, for example, we deal several times a year with a current, industry-relevant topic from our everyday professional life. The e.g. No.1 on the subject of "energy optimisation" was already published in September 1993. We share our knowledge with customers, partners and other interested parties at the corresponding seminars. With presentations by our own employees and other experts, also from teaching and research, we deepen our knowledge and promote the professional and personal exchange.
Since 2017, we have explicit sustainability goals. With the sustainability report, we review their achievement annually and derive measures to achieve further improvements.
Examples of such measures that were implemented in the reporting year are
- At the beginning of 2020 our third mobility survey was conducted. All employees were asked how they get to work and which modes of transport they use for work-related mobility. They were also asked which additional offers and measures they would support in order to travel more by public transport, on foot or by bike. Based on the suggestions for improvement, various measures were initiated. For example, the potential of bicycles and e-bikes has not yet been exhausted at various locations. Furthermore, the booking of environmentally friendly forms of transport is being simplified. The aim is to increase the use of public transport and company cars, while reducing the use of private cars.
- The company vehicle fleet at the Zurich location was converted to electric cars. The Smarts will be replaced in stages by electric vehicles (Renault Zoes) by the end of 2021. Now that our sites in Geneva and Gampel have also purchased electric vehicles, one out of three of our company vehicles is electric.
- At the site in Basel, consistent waste separation is improved year after year. In addition, the property management has several times intervened due to high water consumption. The cooling system was replaced, and the systems and pipes were examined. At the Zurich site, operational optimisations are continuously implemented based on energy consumption measurements.
- As the most important measures in view of the work in the home office, home office regulations were developed as well as digital forms of training, team building or customer management.
Where knowledge transfer is required, where training and further education takes place, we are happy to pass on our know-how. Whether at universities, at conferences and events organised by associations or forums, at trade fairs or roadshows - we almost always have something to say and are pleased to receive numerous enquiries. Our experts* are happy to share their knowledge and experience with interested parties at home and abroad.
The companies of the Amstein + Walthert Group are members of numerous clubs and associations in which they are actively involved in a variety of ways. Our employees are represented on boards and committees, such as the Sustainable Building Switzerland Network or the Interest Group building SMART Switzerland. We are involved in working groups and expert councils, such as the SIA Energy Expert Council. We are also involved in the Energy Zurich Forum in the specialist groups for construction and energy, commissioning and operational optimisation.
Within the framework of our membership in clubs and associations, we are committed to the representation of interests and further development of our professional field, the promotion of young talent and quality assurance and standardisation both within the industry and across sectors. Among others, we are members of the following associations and federations:
- buildingSMART Switzerland
- CRB – Central office for building rationalization
- Die Planer – Network for Energy, Environment and Building Technology
- GNI – Building Network Initiative
- IFMA Switzerland
- IHS – Engineer Hospital Switzerland
- KNX Swiss
- NNBS – Sustainable Construction Network Switzerland
- PIARC Switzerland
- SGA –Swiss Acoustical Society
- SIA – Swiss society of engineers and architects
- SLG – Swiss Light Society
- SNV – Swiss Association for Standardisation
- Suissetec – Swiss-Liechtenstei Building Technology Association
- USIC – Swiss Association of Consulting Engineers
- and others
External commitment and sponsoring
In addition to our involvement in associations and clubs, we are also allowed to sponsor various projects. We support various renowned universities that educate the future of the engineering community, as well as many events for children and adults with disabilities, books on architecture projects and diploma prizes. For example, we also participated in the IGE planners' seminar at the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts in 2020. Amstein + Walthert was once again a sponsor of the Special Olympics Switzerland and PluSport. Both organisations promote sport for people with disabilities. The home-office aperitif box sent to all employees was filled with products from local shops and manufacturers. They were packed by the social institution Valida.