Many challenges of our future can only be mastered by joining forces. This is why we are involved in all the well-known associations, political organisations and initiatives in our industry. Where knowledge transfer is required, where training and further education takes place, we are happy to pass on our know-how. Due to our market position and reputation, many doors are open to us. We make our influence felt, but not for profane self-interest. We are always concerned with the overriding issue, the relevance for the industry and the significance for society.
Customer newspaper «zB»
In our customer magazine, for example, we deal several times a year with a current, industry-relevant topic from our everyday professional life. The e.g. No.1 on the subject of "energy optimisation" was already published in September 1993. We share our knowledge with customers, partners and other interested parties at the corresponding seminars. With presentations by our own employees and other experts, also from teaching and research, we deepen our knowledge and promote the professional and personal exchange.
Measures for sustainability
During the data collection and the compilation of the sustainability report, we were able to identify potential for improvement with regard to the company's sustainability efforts. On this basis, the working group derived measures to address this potential.
Examples of such measures that were implemented in the reporting year are
- An important focus was on raising the awareness of our own employees. Employees were made aware of small but effective opportunities for improvement in their everyday work through a balloon campaign. Events such as the reading "4 for the climate" or zero waste workshops were the subject of lively discussions.
- The branches in Geneva, Bern and Zurich again took part in the "Bike to work" campaign in 2019.
- As part of the third mobility survey, all employees* were asked about measures that they would support in order to make their mobility behaviour more sustainable, i.e. to use public transport more frequently and to travel on foot and by bike. The detailed evaluation of the survey and the development of appropriate measures will be an important focus in the current year.
- The company vehicle fleet at the Zurich site was converted to electric cars. Since March 2020, the Smarts have been replaced by electric vehicles (Renault Zoes) in three stages.
- Measures to further reduce paper consumption were continued at various locations: double-sided printing, central document filing, processing of copy paper into notepads.
- Various measures were also taken to further reduce material and energy consumption: Water dispensers for tap water instead of filled bottles, crockery instead of disposable packaging. Where possible, waste separation is further improved.
- The Learning Regulations were revised and updated for the Zurich, Chur and Frauenfeld sites as of January 2019.
- Extension of the system boundaries of the Sustainability Report: now the effects of air travel are also taken into account and external plotting orders are included in the paper consumption.
Where knowledge transfer is required, where training and further education takes place, we are happy to pass on our know-how. Whether at universities, at conferences and events organised by associations or forums, at trade fairs or roadshows - we almost always have something to say and are pleased to receive numerous enquiries. Our experts* are happy to share their knowledge and experience with interested parties at home and abroad.
Member- and partnerships
The companies of the Amstein + Walthert Group are members of numerous clubs and associations in which they are actively involved in a variety of ways. Our employees* are represented on boards and committees, such as the Sustainable Building Switzerland Network, the Interest Group Building Digital Switzerland, or Pusch - Practical Environmental Protection Switzerland. We are involved in working groups and expert councils, such as the SIA Energy Expert Council. In the Energy Zurich Forum we are involved in the specialist groups for construction and energy, commissioning and operational optimisation.
Within the framework of our membership in clubs and associations, we are committed to the representation of interests and further development of our professional field, the promotion of young talent and quality assurance and standardisation both within the industry and across sectors. Among others, we are members of the following associations and federations:
- Bauen digital Schweiz
- CRB – Schweizerische Zentralstelle für Baurationalisierung
- GNI – Gebäude Netzwerk Institut
- IFMA Schweiz
- IHS – Ingenieur Hospital Schweiz
- KNX Swiss
- NNBS – Netzwerk Nachhaltiges Bauen Schweiz
- SGA –Schweizerische Gesellschaft für Akustik
- SIA – Schweizerischer Ingenieur- und Architektenverein
- SLG – Schweizer Licht Gesellschaft
- SNV – Schweizerische Normenvereinigung
- Suissetec – Schweizerisch-Liechtensteinischer Gebäudetechnikverband
- SWKI – Schweizerischer Verein von Gebäudetechnik-Ingenieuren
- USIC – Union Suisse des Ingénieurs-Conseils
- and others
External commitment and sponsoring
In addition to our involvement in associations and clubs, we are also allowed to sponsor various projects. We support many different renowned universities that are educating the future of the engineering world, as well as organisations for disadvantaged people, apprenticeship events and programmes for children. In 2019, for example, funds have been allocated for the development of study courses or for a documentary film on the transformation of energy systems in Switzerland. In 2019, Amstein + Walthert was once again a sponsor of the Special Olympics Switzerland and of PluSport, the specialist body for disabled sports in Switzerland. Both organisations promote sport for people with disabilities.